Friday, October 24, 2008

Class Tragedies

       I think that the main thing I learned from creating our own tragedies is how many dark truths there are in Christianity.  Christians screw up all the time even though we are supposed to be the example for others.  Specifically when writing my group's story, I realized how much I do think that God can fix everything when I mess it up.  I do not have extreme problems like an abortion to deal with, but I definitely forget that God is in control sometimes.  
       In the story that talked about the shelter, I think that it seemed the most realistic problem that would happen to a Christian around our age.  I think that as Christians, we sometimes think of ourselves as being better than everyone or that we have better morals, but when we let this self righteousness take over, we turn people away from God's love instead of towards it.  
        Also, in the story about the married couple with the runaway son, I definitely learned how we can act one way in front of one person and be totally different with another.  Like I said before, Christians screw up.  We are so far from perfect, and everyone just expects us to be a certain way.  The most important thing I think we need to remember is that we are representing God and our faith in the way we treat each other.  I think that one of the darkest parts of Christianity is not acting the way we tell everyone else to. How can we expect others to follow our example and want to know God if all they see are two-faced people who claim to believe one thing but do not follow through?
         Even though this exercise was meant to help us understand dramatic structure, I think that it also taught us some of the hard things that we face as Christians and the wrong way to deal with those situations.  As depressing as it was to concentrate on sadness for that long, I think that it was a really good way to help us learn more about our faith and how hard it is sometimes.

No comments: