Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are FINALLY dead!!!

      It only took the entire play for the story to fit the title. As entertaining as it was, I have to admit I am a bit relieved that it is over.  However, there were a lot of interesting parts in this section.  While on the boat, Ros says, " We don't question, we don't doubt.  We perform" (108).  The "are we actors" concept is brought up again.  The truth is that Rosie and Guil just have no control over what happens to them.  They are subject to what has already happened in Hamlet.  Another section where this is addressed is on page 101, where Guil says that they are "free to move, speak,extemporise,and yet. We have not been cut loose... We may seize the moment ... but we are brought around full circle..."  It sounds like he is calling himself a puppet.  I think it would be pretty awful to feel like someone was controlling your every move.  It only proves that Rosie and Guil have no power to create their own story.  They are just acting out what has already been planned for them.  Then, an example of technoculture is shown when they are talking about the letter from the king.  Ros then says, "So we've got a letter which explains everything."  Other characters' testimonies are not reliable.  The only proof of their existence and previous lives would be a letter or a written down piece of evidence.  
      Also, I have to say that the barrel scene was hilarious.  I actually laughed out loud when I pictured them popping out at the same time just staring at each other.  And, I finally caught a gay joke.  On page 100, they talk about stretching each other's legs, but Guil says no because "somebody might come in." I think that the comedy in this play is necessary so that it keeps the reader from being mad at all the confusion going on.  So my last bit of confusion was the actual deaths of Rosie and Guil.  They disappeared.  It was just a very strange, unsettling way to end the lives of these characters.  To be honest, as many headaches as they caused me, I think I will miss Rosie and Guil.

No comments: